Friday, 25 April 2014

Bicycle Oman

Bicycle Oman has opened shop in Ghubra behind the Rehab Hotel. If you're driving from the Grand Mall towards Muscat Private Hospital you will go through the traffic lights after Muscat Oasis Apartments and then you have to go on to the Muscat Expressway as if you're heading to Qurum instead you exit the Expressway again and head for Ghubrah again. So you're now heading back towards the way you came from the Grand Mall, on your immediate right, there is a little exit towards the Rehab hotel and other new buildings here through a dirt track, follow the signs to the Oman Bicycle Shop. 

They had a grand opening of their new shop on Wednesday afternoon and they stock everything you need for the serious and the not-so-serious bicycle rider. They house brands from Germany and others. They can fix your bike and they are involved in encouraging bicycle riding in Oman. We went along to to have a look and for my active child to try out their bikes and skelters (pedal go-carts) quoted from their flyer. And as a parent I was very excited to find they supply toddler seats so you can ride tandem with dein kinder! However they were sold out but they have new ones arriving in two weeks. They have tricycles for the little ones plus sturdy looking balance bicycles as they learn to ride.

I had a go on what they call a sand bike! I'd never seen this kind of bicycle before. It had really thick wheels so I took one for a spin and it's really the four wheel drive of bicycles! It was easy to pedal and very smooth. My partner was told that they were made in Canada riding in the for snow but it's also good in the sand so they've imported them for the desert and from my few minutes on it I must say it's really smooth on hard surface and I can see how it would not sink as fast as the slim wheels in sand. 

I also learned there that Sahara tours organise bicycle tours and made a bicycle track for cycling tours in Oman.

Where: Al Ghoubrah South
Building 966
Corner of Muscat Expressway 
Exit 6, and Boushar Street
Behind Rehab hotel

Contact: Lucky: Phone: 99664710
Email: lucky@omanbicycle.com
 

No comments: